Do you ever wonder why on an important date does your skin erupt with irritating, very obvious acne? Blaming it on the hormones? No, rather blame it on the lack of B5. This vitamin is also known as Pantothenic acid or anti-stress vitamin as it is important in making hormones & healthy red cells.
Benefits of B5:
- B5 is known as an anti – stress vitamin as it regulates the formation of stress hormones
- Helps generate energy for the body by breaking down carbohydrates, proteins & fats
- Plays an important role in the production of adrenal hormones in the adrenal glands
- Vitamin B5 produces neurotransmitters that is cholesterol required for proper nerve & muscle functioning
- It is responsible for haemoglobin production & metabolism of toxins by the liver
- It aids in the DNA reproduction & RNA transcription
- It is used in the treatment of osteoarthritis, Rheumatoid arthritis, Parkinson’s disease, depression, respiratory problems & carpal tunnel syndrome
- B5 greatly relieves acne, allergies, alcoholism, hair loss, asthma, low blood pressure
- Provides relief in cramps due to pregnancy
- Helps improve skin & prevents graying of hair
How do I include Vitamin B5 in my regular meals?
The term Pantothenic is derived from the Greek “Pantos” meaning everywhere that means Vitamin B5 is found in abundance in plant as well as animal sources. The storehouse of this vitamin are peanuts, liver , kidney, cauliflower, mushroom, seeds, other nuts, pumpkin, sweet potato, legumes, milk, soya, egg yolk, cheese, fish, chicken, wholegrain bread, breakfast cereals fortified with pantothenic acid & bananas. The richest of Vitamin B5 are ovaries of the cod & tuna fish.
Will the lack of B5 harm me?
Being a water soluble vitamin, it needs to replenished everyday in our body. The symptoms that indicate the lack of it are painful & burning feet, skin abnormalities, numbness & poor co ordination, abdominal & muscle cramps, vomiting, anemia, insomnia & depression, stunted growth & restlessness. These can be effectively controlled with the usage of Vitamin B5 along with Vitamin B12 & Vitamin C.
Individuals who are prone to be deficient are women on birth control pills, smokers & alcoholics, people under stress, those prone to allergies & also who are used to eating high amount of refined food.
Preservation of Vitamin B5
Being an unstable vitamin, significant amounts can be lost through cooking, freezing & commercial processing. Soda bi carbonate should not be used in water used to cook vegetables as it results in the loss of pantothenic acid. It is advisable to store the food sources at room temperature in a dry place.
As Vitamin B5 is found “Pantos” (everywhere) you won’t have to go searching hard for it, hence it’s difficult to avoid this vitamin in our regular diet, what is important is that we realize its essence & make sure we use the right method to preserve it in order to maximize the nutritional content of the meal.