Frequent travelling in job, stress at work, other priorities at a time and sometimes due to unavailability of public urinal places, makes us to withhold the urge to urinate, that makes us more prone to urinary tract infection – in short UTI. One of the reasons of UTI might be dehydration, when body is dehydrated, body tends to retain the water it has in the body, so less frequent urination makes the urine more concentrate and provides environment to growth of bacteria causing UTI.
The common symptoms are unusual pain in lower abdomen, burning sensation, heaviness in flanks, especially while passing urine, cloudy urine with unpleasant odour; with severe infection it may cause nausea and fever too.
Women are more prone to UTI than man because the length of urethra is short in women and its close to anus and vagina thus bacteria can have easy access to urethra and eventually bladder. So when reliving is struggle, alternation in food and diet can help easing the pain.
Few natural remedies are
- Drinking bottle gourd juice with honey will help easing the UTI.
- Drink beetroot, cucumber, and lime juice to relieve UTI.
- Drink a glass of buttermilk with cumin seeds.
- Drink citrus juices to control UTI as they increase the pH of urinary tract, and bacteria cannot survive in such medium.
- Drink coconut water with the tender malai.
- Consumption of Cardamom powder in the juices or with the jaggery will help relieve itchiness in the urinary tract.
- Eat dry grapes, soak them overnight in the water and in the morning have them mashing it in the same water.
Precautions to avoid UTI:
- Do not withhold the urine for longer time, pass urine as soon as you feel urge to go, as withholding the urine promotes growth of bacteria.
- Wash genitals every time you pass the urine, and also after intercourse.
- Avoid the foods that are acidic by nature like spices, alcohol, chillies etc.
- Avoid Caffeine and chocolates.
Last but not the least, drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated all the time.