Have you ever feel heavy and bloated upon wake up in the morning? Ever feet, ankle and abdomen appears swollen, tender or bloated?? Its oedema or simply water retention,, It affects mainly feet ankles and abdomen, And in sever condition it can affect face too.
When body becomes incapable of managing mineral levels, it starts collecting water in several places, one of the reasons for oedema might be dehydration too, as when body senses the level of water is less in the body, it holds on the water it has in the body.
Once the body comes into hydrated state or say in the balance state, the excess water is flushed out, if the problem of water retention is persistent, don’t ignore! It might indicate serious problem of thyroid, kidney, bladder, heart or liver dysfunction.
For women water retention is common at times of menstruation because of hormonal changes. Sometimes it might just because of missing elements from diet!! Let’s see some simple remedies that can be applied to get rid of water retention.
What to Eat??
- Have a piece of amla every morning. This helps flush out toxins.
- Have at least one cup of yogurt every day. The active cultures in yogurt aid in digestion and increase the good bacteria in the gut.
- Herbal tea helps to get rid of water retention by diluting water retaining salts.
- Drinking coconut water once a day will help by balancing the minerals.
- Add flex seeds to your diet, will not only help water retention especially for pregnant women, but also increases the amount of omega-3 – a vital nutrient that keeps heart healthy.
- Eating watermelon, musk melon, oranges, or cucumber helps eliminating fluids.
- Increase the fiber rich foods.
- Have protein rich foods like milk and milk products, soy, Dals, egg whites and fish.
What to Avoid?
- Avoid eating foods high in sodium such as French fries, potato chips, pizza, etc fast food, and pickles, chutneys, ketchup, soy sauce etc.
- Avoid gaps between foods.
Exercise daily, the leg muscles play a key role in moving blood from the feet back to heart. So if the leg muscles weaken or if one doesn’t get adequate exercise fluid from the blood collects in the feet and ankles.
Last but not the least, Drink plenty of water to keep you hydrated, which helps dilute the urine produced by the kidneys. Since urine contains fluid retaining salts, diluting it helps decrease water retention.!!
Eat healthy!! stay healthy!!