In diabetes body is not able to manage the large amount of glucose, so you need to take care of it. The most efficient way is to watch the portion size. Reduce your regular portion size by half, and yes after an interval you can again take the other half. It is very important to have 6-8 small sized meals instead of 2-3 large meals. So body can get its fuel at regular interval of time. The same reason as said above, the as body is not able to manage the sugar, supply it slowly and steadily, instead of oversupply and then starving.
- Avoid Simple sugars as far as possible. It includes all the white food like refined sugar. Plain flour, polished rice, cause all of these are having very high GI (Glycaemic Index) meaning that they can make blood sugar rise skyrocket. This is dangerous for diabetic people.
- Always eat complex carbs like whole grains, brown rice, and eat food in its most natural Condition. The more the food will be processed, less the nutrition it contains.
- Fruits contain fructose- a kind of simple sugar which is directly converted to glucose after eaten up. But fruits are packed with antioxidants and vitamins so they should be taken regularly, with caution of portion size, and time, like it’s not advisable to eat fruits along with, or immediately after any meal, instead it should be consumed at empty stomach or as a first thing in the morning while body is starving.
- Diabetic people should take extremely care for not to eat any carbs alone, by combining carbs with protein it also reduces its Glycaemic load and also it increases its “Thermic Effect”. – meaning it increases metabolism and burn more calorie.
- Have a lot of fibers, both soluble and insoluble fibers helps in make you feeling full for longer period of times, and it reduces the cravings for sugar immediately after meal.
- Count the calories you consume and the one you spend, you need not to be skeptic about each milligram, but yes each gram you take, if right food will help you, and wrong food especially at wrong time will harm you.
- Although I’m putting it last but consider it as a first thing to fight with diabetes, Exercise, involve yourself in any kind of physical activity for atleast 30 mins a day.